Thursday, December 26, 2013

Kate's Christmas Card


I have a coworker who wants to be a kangaroo. She believes her life would be exponentially easier if she had a pouch. And since kangaroo Christmas cards are hard to come buy, I figured I would just draw her one.

Initial sketches
Tried to personalize the kangaroo so it looked a little like Kate with the hair and glasses
The panda is me

I googled images of kangaroos for drawing references and set them up on my desktop the way I envisioned the card in my head. I knew from the start I wanted to use Gemna from the manga Ranma 1/2 as my panda model.


I started sketching everything out in pencil. Then I traced over the lines with a double-sided sharpie. I've found in the past that when I use a pen and I go to erase lines the ink smears some times. Sharpies dry instantly and I haven't had any smear issues. Sharpies do bleed on the paper and are not always the best choice when detailing something small like an eye. So I did use pen on the eyes of panda beth and at least one of the kates. Then I colored everything in with colored pencils.

Inside of the card
She loved the card.

So to all my one follower--hope you have a joeyful Christmas and a kickin' roo year!

1 comment: